The Coordinating Office for Health Equity (OHE) is an information and networking center for health promotion and disease prevention. OHE’s goal is to improve the health of people in difficult living situations and thereby strengthen the health equity in different living environments. One focus is health promotion of people who have been historically difficult to reach. This requires specific approaches, which the OHE provides information about. The OHE also advises and aids in the application of these approaches.
Due to the implementation of the German Prevention Act in 2015, the coordinating offices for health equity were expanded in all federal states of Germany. In the fall of 2017, the Bavarian OHE established its offices in the Bavarian Association for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention (BAHPDP). The office comprises now two divisions. Division I is funded by the Federal Centre for Health Education (FCHE) and the statutory health insurance funds. Division II was established in 2006 and has its offices within the Center for Prevention and Health Promotion of the Bavarian Agency of Health and Food Safety and is also funded by the FCHE.
The OHE is responsible for the following tasks:
- Consultation and qualification of actors in the public health sector
- Initial consultation and support for project development, arranging existing programs, and providing consultation for funding possibilities
- Support the implementation of the statewide framework agreement for disease prevention in Bavaria
- Spread awareness of the topic “Health Equity” to relevant actors in Bavaria, e. g. through symposiums and talks
- Linking science with practice, e. g. through the organization of expert discussions
- Coordination of and cooperation with regional and federal networks
- Anchoring quality development and quality control in living communities of socially disadvantaged and/or vulnerable target groups, e. g. by identifying and providing Good Practice Models